Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Happy Fathers Day!?

I walked in the front door from work at our old apartment at 606 E Center. Sara was sitting at the sewing machine working on a quilt. Everything seemed normal, so I headed out of the living room to change out of my prison unifo--i mean work clothes, but then Sara tossed an envelope across the room at me. I suspected it was just a piece of mail, but then i noticed that it wasn't addressed, so it must have been for me, from her.

Well the card had something cute on the outside, i don't remember exactly what, and then on the inside it said "Happy Father's Day, Father-to-be!"

Sara and I had talked about trying to have a kid sometime this summer, and it had been my running joke that it could happen anytime, as we know God's in control. Sara also had been terrified of giving labor, realizing her petite frame, so my joking around about the matter was a way of loosening her up for the occasion whenever it may be.

So in the spirit of humor I said "well you couldn't wait till next weekend?" as Father's day was still a week away. She shook her head no as she looked at me with a grin on her face. Confused I said, "wait, does this mean your pregnant?" with tears welling up in her eyes she didn't say a word and nodded yes. I said, "Well how do you know?" She had not given me any previous hints toward this announcement. She then pulled out the "EPT" she had concealed under some of her sewing stuff. "Sure enough!" I said as I wrapped my arms around her while she cried tears of joy, at least I interpreted them as tears of joy.

For many years, I feel God has put a dream inside of me of having a family. I don't know why, but i'm certain that it has been on my heart for so long. This day was the beginning of a dream come true. Sara has also affirmed that my excitement on the occasion has made this sudden change in life, all the more worth it for her. We are praising God for this gift and trusting in him for a healthy pregnancy.

No comments: